News

Cranbrook fire destroys four businesses overnight

Two individuals were rescued from a rooftop overnight, after a significant fire engulfed four downtown businesses in Cranbrook early Tuesday morning.

At 1:24am MT on Tuesday April 24, Cranbrook Fire and Emergency Services received a call of a fire in a building located at 806 Baker Street, between 8th Avenue South and 9th Avenue South. 18 firefighters, including the Chief and Deputy Chief arrived on scene approximately 1:30am MT, with two engines and a ladder truck. Upon arrival, two individuals were found on the roof of the building and were safely rescued. No injuries are known at this time. Cranbrook Fire and Emergency Services believe the fire originated on the second floor of the building that quickly spread through a common attic area above three adjacent businesses. Fire personnel were able to minimize damage to two nearby businesses – Cranbrook Photo and Boarder’s Choice.

“With our community having such a small department, staff worked all night and were able safely rescue two individuals and minimize damage to both Cranbrook Photo and Boarder’s Choice,” says Cranbrook Mayor Wayne Stetski.

No damage estimate is available. Cranbrook Fire and Emergency Services remain on scene to continue to mop up the blaze, which will likely take the remainder of the day on Tuesday. No cause has been determined. Officials are hopeful to begin a formal investigation into the fire later this afternoon. As a result of the fire, the remaining businesses on the north side of Baker Street will be without hydro or gas services for the day. All businesses on the south side of Baker Street have hydro and gas services and expect to be open as usual today. Baker Street, between 8th Avenue South and 9th Avenue South will also be closed to traffic for the rest of the day. Due to the large volume of water being used by the fire department overnight, residents and businesses may notice their water appears dirty this morning. Residents are advised the sediment in the water is not considered a health concern. Residents and businesses should simply run their cold water tap until the water runs clear.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

New rules coming for local election spending
 
Southeast district police honored as members of “Alexa’s Team”
 
Emergency sparks co-operative effort
Salvation Army kettle campaign rings in
 
Okanagan Skaha SD 67 trustees will focus on relationships with teachers
 
Bus issue gets shuttled
JS McMillan manager confident reduction plant will remain in Prince Rupert
 
Donation supports literacy
 
Donation supports literacy

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 3 edition online now. Browse the archives.